Golden Oldies Cat Rescue focuses on cats age 6 and older residing in Monterey County, CA only, whose owners can no longer care for them, or who are at-risk in a local shelter.
If you are outside of Monterey County but still want to list your cat on our website, we offer Courtesy listings for cats 6 and older. Anyone seeing your cat and wanting additional information would contact you directly.
To post any cat on our website, we’ll need to receive a description of the cat and at least one good quality photo (multiple photos are appreciated).
Because we are a small organization, there are some medical conditions we are unable to handle — including but not limited to diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney disease, cancer or any terminal illness. If a medical exam shows a cat has one of these we unfortunately cannot take the kitty as a Golden Oldies cat, but we can offer you a Courtesy listing.
We are unable to take feral or stray cats, or cats that do not use a litter box appropriately.
For your cat to be CONSIDERED for Golden Oldies, the cat must:
- Have a complete medical exam within the last 60 days
- Have a Senior blood panel that includes a T4 test within the last 6 months
- Have an FIV/FELV test (needs to be negative)
- Be current on FVRCP & Rabies vaccines
- Be scanned for a microchip or given one if necessary. Please record the chip number & manufacturer!
- Be spayed/neutered
- Have its teeth checked & graded for dental disease
Please note that we have partner vets who offer all prospective Golden Oldies Cats 10%-50% off their exam, and 10%-35% off other services. You MUST let us know in advance of the appointment so we can contact the clinic and authorize the services at the discounted rate. Please DO NOT make an appointment without first speaking with someone from Golden Oldies. The following clinics offer discounted services:
- Purrfurably Cats, 481 Cortes St., Monterey, CA.93940. Call (831)655-2287
- Animal Hospital at Mid Valley, 312 Mid Valley Center, Carmel, CA 93923. Call (831)624-8509
- Cottage Veterinary Care, 172 16th St., Pacific Grove, CA 93950. Call (831)372-3524
- Aguajito Veterinary Hospital, 1221 10th St., Monterey, CA, 93940. Call (831)372-8151
All exam notes and test results can be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can give your vet authorization to release them to Golden Oldies Cat Rescue and we will call the vet and get the records.
There is a $100 cat intake fee for a guardian surrender — and we gladly welcome donations above and beyond that.
Finally, before intake, your cat needs to pass an evaluation by a Golden Oldies representative.
Getting the medical done is NO GUARANTEE we can take your cat. We must first review the results to see if a cat qualifies medically, and then we must have a foster home available. Please DO NOT have the medical done without first speaking to someone from Golden Oldies. We are 100 percent foster-based, which means we can only take cats when we have open foster homes. We are not a shelter and cannot take cats on short notice. Determining if a cat qualifies can take a week or more. And if we do not have a foster home available the recruitment process can be a long one.
In the event we do not have an available foster, we will post your cat as a Courtesy listing on our website while we recruit for a foster. You will need to continue to care for the kitty until we have a foster home available.
To get started, please call us at 831-200-9700 or send an email to email@example.com